Our vision and values
Maitland City Library is an active and dynamic community service. It's a place where the community can connect with the learning and leisure resources they need, and it's an important hub for community activity with a wide range of programs and events and spaces for learning, social interaction and cultural appreciation.
The Library enriches community life through:
- Connecting people with learning and leisure resources
- Fostering diverse opportunities for lifelong learning and interaction with ideas and experiences
- Providing welcoming spaces that facilitate social interaction, equity and tolerance
- Creating pathways to the community’s past and preserving local knowledge
- Stimulating creative expression and cultural appreciation
- Promoting literacy in all its forms.
- We respect the diversity and individuality of all people and we aim to promote services that meet the needs of everyone in our community.
- We believe in listening to and meeting the needs of our customers in an approachable, open manner.
- We support personal and professional growth and recognise the value of individual contributions to the team.
- Working together we support a culture of teamwork and cooperation in a positive work environment.
- We recognise that open communication and trust are integral to working together effectively.
- We are committed to achieving better outcomes for our community by working together with other Council sections, community groups and service providers.
Learning and innovation
- We seek out new ideas and opportunities, focusing on improving all that we do.
- We are creative, positive and innovative in the development of services.
- We are motivated by challenge and take pride in initiative.
Equity of access
- We are committed to providing equity of access to our services for all groups and individuals in the community.
- We believe that intellectual freedom and the free flow of ideas and information is fundamental to democracy and a thriving culture.
- We accept accountability for our actions and results.
- We are committed to ensuring our practices are transparent and flexible.
- We are committed to professionalism through effective planning and clear communication.
- We strive to maximise the value of our time and resources.
Our strategic priorities
- Community engagement and enrichment.
- Agility and growth.
- Access and innovation.
- Accountability and efficiency.
- Building for the future.
Our key outcomes
- Increased community participation in cultural, creative and lifelong learning activities.
- Confident customer focused staff.
- Innovative and effective systems underpinning service delivery.
- Good governance and management practices.
- Accessible and well used community spaces.